Due to the overwhelming growth of the Anglican community, a new site was sought, and found at the Northeast corner of Southwick and Wellington Street in the latter portion of 1876. On “Trinity Sunday, May 27, 1877”, four years before St. Thomas became a city, the new Trinity church with a seating capacity of 600 was opened for service. This spacious, Gothic edifice is still one of the most beautiful churches in this part of Canada.The bell from the Walnut Street church was moved to the new Trinity Anglican Church where it still calls worshipper on Sunday mornings.
There are many artistic forms of various crosses within Trinity Church, symbolizing its ethnic beginnings in the English culture. Colours of the “91st Battalion of Elgin”, as well as the colours of the “Elgin Regiment”, are displayed as a tribute to the fallen heroes of both the First and second World Wars. The first rector of Trinity Anglican church was “T.C. Des Barres from 1877 until 1878.
The “100th Anniversary” was held on Trinity Sunday, June 5, 1977, with Reverend “Canon Michael R. Griffin”, a former rector, as guest speaker.